Well, yesterday was a huge day! We launched LOVE REVOLUTION, our most important stretch as a church.
I'll recap the teaching and then the specifics of LR.
LOVE REVOLUTION is a different kind of "campaign". This one is mostly about serving and caring for the poor rather than acquiring anything for ourselves.
So we started by taking a look at what the Bible has to say about giving to the materially and spiritually poor, using Matthew 25:34-40, matthew 10:42, and Proverbs 19:17.
The Big Idea was: "When we serve the poor we are serving Jesus and we will be rewarded".
The idea of reward can be a tough one to swallow, but the Proverb we looked at makes it clear: It is impossible to go broke giving to the poor; God gives a clear promise that he will repay us!
Now, as to the particulars of LOVE REVOLUTION...
We're doing the following together:
1. Intensifying our involvement at Stallings Elenmentary.
2. Acquiring a home in Springhill where we will move in a missionary couple who will be the presence of Jesus to the folks there - meeting practical needs such as after school tutoring, food and clothing supplies, and spiritual encouragement.
1. A first class NLC Worship CD which will help other churches who want to reach disconnected people and provide a tool for our folks to invite their friends.
1. Daily involvement in the classrooms of Rock Rest Elementary and the ability to resource needs such as food and clothing and school supplies for this school where 95% of the kids are on free and reduced price lunch.
OUR ENDS OF THE EARTH
1. Partnering with Compassion International to sponsor a Child Survival village in Peru where up to 60 kids and their families - the most at risk - will receive food, education, health care, the Gospel and job training so that they can be self-sufficient.
It is a HUGE challenge but this roster of commitments will literally save lives and alter eternal destinies!
How are we going to do it?
Well, on March 27 we will give and pledge together. We need $350,000 to initiate all of these ministries and we will have a ninety day pledge period. Every single gift is significant, but we need some substantial gifts. We could get it done this way:
Four gifts of $25,000
Five gifts of $10,000
Ten gifts of $5,000
One hundred fifty gifts of $1,000
Our next step this week is very simple: "I commit to ask God every day this week the part he would have me/my family play in LOVE REVOLUTION.
Will you make that commitment with me?